Friday, June 24, 2011

Leftovers

Like I mentioned in a previous post - not all leftovers are created equal! There are somethings that taste great the next day (or even on the 3rd day!) and somethings that are just better saved for one night dishes.
However, you can do a few things to make your leftovers taste as if they have just been freshly made using some of the tips below.

  • Chicken/Poultry  -Chicken (or any poultry for that matter) that has been broiled, baked, or pan fried will NOT taste good when reheated in the microwave. It will have that icky taste that I really can't describe. In order to stear clear of this taste you can do several things. You can reheat the chicken in the oven with a small bit of water in a baking dish. The only problem with this is that it will essentially - recook the meat and sometimes leave it slightly dry, but still better than the icky taste! My faviorite way to reheat chicken is to put the chicken in a pan on the stove and add some cooking liquid, either chicken broth, or some chicken gravy. Reheat until bubby and serve - no icky taste. This method works best with chicken that has some sort of cooking liquid originally.

  • Beef - I have never had icky tasting beef when reheated, so I usually stick to the microwave when reheating. Make sure to cover the microwave safe dish with a damp paper towel.

  • Pork - Another meat that just doesn't taste right when microwave reheated. I normally only make pork a one night meal. However, if I am making a smothered pork chop (one that is cooked in a sauce) I will reheat on the stove in a pan with the cooking sauce and a dash of water.

  • Fish - I personally will not eat fish that has been reheated. I know some people will, but I haven't found a way to make fish taste the way I like the next day. The only exception to this is tuna noodle casserole, which oddly enough I will eat reheated.
If you know a way to reheat any other dishes, feel free to share :)

No comments:

Post a Comment